Slower Connections If using a slower connection please allow images time to load fully.
Click on images to view larger size if available.

Friday, December 11, 2015

Corner of Mason and Walker Streets, Dandenong, late 1980s.

A couple of photos side by side taken late 80's showing former Church of Christ on corner of Mason and Walker Streets.

The original Church of Christ building was constructed in 1904 and officially opened on 28 August after an 11 week construction period on the corner of Robinson and George Street (before George street was realigned to meet the end of Walker street in the early 2010s).

In early 1918 through voluntary labour the Sunday School hall was added to the rear of the church, further working bees resulted in the lining of the hall and construction of the kitchen.

In September 1957 a newly built brick chapel (pictured) on the corner of Mason and Walker Streets was completed (Presently occupied by Cornerstone Contact Centre since 1992), The church moved in 1990 to new premises at 139 David Street, outside the CBD area, ending its involvement in the centre of Dandenong.

The 1904 church building on Robinson Street was occupied by the Dandenong Assembly of God until 1977 when it was sold to the United Pentecostal Fellowship. It later became occupied by the Church of the Word. The building would survive into the 21st century before being demolished as part of the Revitalization of Dandenong, Presently the new A.T.O. building occupies this site.

Photos supplied by: Brad Farrell

For more images like this visit us at

No comments:

Post a Comment