Established in 1882, the local Bowling Green was the collaboration of a few local gentlemen after a meeting had been held in the Mechanics' Institute in March of the same year to discuss the forming of a Bowling Club. They erected their first clubhouse at the creek end of the lawns in the shade of an Algerian Oak (still standing) in Dandenong Park. In the 1950s, the Dandenong Recreation Club put before the committee of enthusiasts, plans to establish a Bowling Green at its Herbert Street site.
The Dandenong Bowling Green was not originally expected to last for more than a season, with some even scorning the very idea of having it. However, some 132 years later when closure was finally looming, the Bowling Club continued to maintain the lawns with the same high care as the gentlemen of the day who had given of their own.
For a long part of the clubs' history, a Croquet Club stood alongside the Bowling Club. In recent times to meet public demands for local space near Dandenong CBD, the future design of Dandenong Park meant the closure of both clubs, the Stan Prior Sound Stage may also yet face removal.
Before its closure, Dandenong Bowling Club was most probably the oldest surviving sports club in the Greater Dandenong area, having celebrated their Centenary in 1992.