A view looking up Lonsdale Street in 1937, looking towards where it intersects with Scott street, There were a few interesting shops in this section, one remembered more than others by locals who would frequent it for a tasty bite, or one of the lesser mentioned services, Can you name it?
Bellow is an excerpt from Reminiscences of the early days of Dandenong published in the Journal during the 1930s.
From about 1S58 coaches were the main link between Melbourne and
Dandenong, prior to the railway opening, coach was the method
cf travelling. There were many vehicles eventually on the road, in fact
each hotel ran a line at one time in the very early days. One connected with "Dunbar’s” Hotel, another with the “Bridge,” and so on. Dave
Bowden drove one coach, Thomas Dallimore another, and “Old George” drove for Cobb & Co.
There were coaches running from Dandenong to Cranbourne and the Bass; others to Berwick, and so on. These latter ran after the main road was made, as before that time horsemen carried the mail, the driving of a trap being an impossibility. Tom Murray, Tom McMahon, and other drivers, drove coaches, but they did not properly come within the range of the early-day drivers.
In 185S Messrs. Cobb & Co. built stables and offices at the corner of
the main and Pultney streets, and the large underground tank still remained in 1930 as a memento of the old coaching days. When Mr. Peter Evans bought the building, which he converted into a boot-making shop, it was often remarked upon why such a small establishment required such a large tank, but those who inquired were not aware that that large tank was not more than sufficiently large to water a big string of horses required for the coaches.
The coach from Dandenong to Bass ran three times weekly. Its original driver was George Wright ("Old George.”) He was followed by J. Moorehouse, after whom came W. Smiley, and the last driver of that line was Charlie Wilson. In 1S73 Cobb & Co’s coach left the Albion Hotel, Bourke street, for Dandenong, the fare each way being four shillings. Mrs. Dunbar ran a line cf coaches between Melbourne and Brandy Creek, and also between Melbourne and Tooradin, in 1876,