Dandenong High School has a very long and proud history from its very beginnings in 1919 to present. Originally the junior students were housed in the Dandenong fire station, while the seniors took classes in the Temperance Hall and Church of Christ as the first building was too small. The first headmaster was P. C. W. Langford who had served in the 4th Light Horse during the War.
In 1920, the new building on Princes Highway was opened, with the foundation stone laid by the Hon. W. Hutchinson, Minister of Public Instruction in 1919. The school was built on a 7. 5 acre site called Bushy Park Estate, which was purchased with a £1000 grant from the Dandenong Shire Council.
By the early to mid 1960s the Dandenong Sports Ground had been acquired and a house on High Street had become a caretakers residence. It was in the early 1960s that Dandenong High School finally achieved having equal numbers of both male and female students after an extensive period of female students outnumbering males.
Dandenong High School today has approximately 2000 students currently enrolled after the amalgamation of Cleeland Secondary College (former Dandenong Girls High School), the Doveton School and the Dandenong High School now forming two campuses spread over both the Dandenong High School and former Cleeland Secondary College sites.
Photo kindly shared to page by Anna Veldman