Miss Matilda Shaw’s school for young ladies opened in 1874,in the house now known as Laurel Lodge, which she rented. In 1884 she had her own house built,further up the road, ‘Merlin’, at the corner of Langhorne and Wilson Streets and moved her school there.
At one stage, the school had 20 lady boarders. Both houses still survive. Miss Shaw kept her school going for a total of 19 years, closing the school in 1889 when she married. The school had a good reputation and was mentioned in the book Victoria and its Metropolis (Sutherland,1888:)
Image supplied by Annette Wiadrowski'